There are a lot of things I randomly wonder about, and a lot of them I think are without a techinical answer. For example, I wonder about time. Its just strange to think about in all of its aspects. Its connection to the mind and body is incredible. The fact that it affects EVERYTHING and everyone fascinates me. It can make us forget. It is said that time heals. In fact, there are a lot of saying about time. And theories. There are ways to "fight" it. People try to capture it, travel in it, comprehend it; you can fill it, not waste it, spend it, run out of it, use it wisely, run short on it, remember it, divide it. Its tied to memory, age, and development. Even though its always a noun, it can mean several different things and be used in lots of ways. We are here for a tiny portion of it. It never ends, and it never began. It is only tangible in its effects. We've invented tools to measure it, and we run our lives by it. We can't see it, taste it, smell it, or hear it, but nobody doubts its existence. (okay maybe Einstein did, but its a widely accepted concept) You never get a minute back, but where does it go? How does it pass on the other side of the veil?
...Anyways, thats my wonderment for today. Of course, there are other things I wonder about but don't really want to find out about, like Taxes...and some things i could find out about but don't make the time, like black holes. A curious thing, the mind. Maybe I will wonder about that next.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I LOVE THIS!! SO much. You are such a fantastic writer! Love you!
haha . . . taxes.
You're quite the little genius girl.
How clever that at the end of this you had one more thought about time. You haven't Made time to learn about black holes.Hmmm. time probably dissapears into the black hole. Anyway, I really liked these thoughts of yours and enjoyed reading them very much! Hugs!MOM
So, your comment about not getting back time reminded me of something I just read in the book Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl.
"The pessimist resembles a man who observes with fear and sadness that his wall calendar, from which he daily tears a sheet, grows thinner with each passing day. On the other hand, the person who attacks the problems of life actively is like a man who removes each successive leaf from his calendar and files it neatly and carefully away with its predecessors, after first having jotted down a few diary notes on the back. He can reflect with pride and joy on all the richness set down in these notes, on all the life he has already lived to the fullest. What will it matter to him if he notices that he is growing old? Has he any reason to envy the young people whom he sees, or wax nostalgic over his own lost youth? What reasons has he to envy a young person? For the possibilities that a young person has, the future which is in store for him? 'No, thank you,' he will think. 'Instead of possibilities, I have realities in my past, not only the reality of work done and of love loved, but of sufferings bravely suffered.'"
"I never tire of saying that the only really transitory aspects of life are the potentialities; but as soon as they are actualized, they are rendered realities at that very moment; they are saved and delivered into the past, wherein they are rescued and preserved from transitoriness. For, in the past, nothing is irretrievably lost but everything is irrevocably stored."
He talks about how each moment is the only aspect of time we can change--we can't change the past or the future, but we can make a choice in the present which will become fixed in the past. "Which choice will be made an actuality once and forever, an immortal 'footprint in the sands of time'? At any moment, man must decide, for better or for worse, what will be the monument of his existence."
I know, that's a really long comment. But I thought you'd be interested in it, since you are feeling philosophical. ;)
There is a book you need to get. Its called Einsteins dreams. Its all about time and what if it worked in different ways and what that means philosophically. Its a wonderfully written and deep book.
Post a Comment